Whether you’re moving for the first, or 50th time, it can be a daunting task to take on.
Fortunately, this checklist has everything you need to ensure you’re prepared for a smooth, successful move. It will provide key insights across the three phases of a move: planning, moving day, and delivery day.
Planning Before You Move
- Get mover or broker recommendations from friends and family.
- Obtain estimates from at least 3 movers before moving to compare prices and services offered.
- Use a service like Zipmover to find a reputable mover, registered with the FMCSA.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure you can trust the mover and broker.
- Receive the booklet Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move from your mover.
- Know what the mover's responsibilities are for damaged or lost items.
- Inquire about your mover or broker’s dispute settlement program.
- Get the details on pickup and delivery of your household goods.
- Know how to contact your mover before, during, and after your move.
- Insure your belongings appropriately.
- Double-check the information on your estimate, order for service, bill of lading, inventory, and other documents before you sign them.
- Accompany the movers through their inventory of your goods and resolve any questions on item conditions.
- Make sure the driver and moving company know how you can be reached throughout the move.
- Be present to answers any questions movers may have. Stay until everything is complete.
- Provide the driver with directions to the delivery destination.
- Go through the house one final time to make sure nothing was forgotten.
- Keep the bill of lading until belongings are delivered, all charges are paid, and outstanding claims are settled.
- Pay the driver according to the terms of your written estimate, before belongings are unloaded.
- Again be present to answer any potential questions.
- Carefully supervise the unloading and unpacking of your belongings.
- Mark any boxes or items th at are damaged or missing before signing any documents.
With this list at your side, you’ll be as prepared as possible for a move that’s efficient and stress-free.